Choosing the BEST Tattoo Shop

Inside Photo

Choosing the best Tattoo shop is as important as the tattoo.

As our third installment of our six-part series for the tattoo enthusiast, we want to discuss the importance of a good tattoo shop.

Cleanliness is KEY

Safety and cleanliness should be your area of MOST CONCERN, and for good reason. Remember, every surface touched during a tattoo (by you or the artist) becomes contaminated. The tattoo artists need to be licensed and trained in blood borne pathogens. Make sure that the tattoo artists licenses are visible. Also observe to see if the tattoo artists are disinfecting all surfaces between clients. Do not hesitate to ask the shop owner, manager or artists to walk you through their sterilization techniques.

You want to go to a shop that is organized and that the employees of the shop care about the cleanliness. Was your first impression noticing how CLEAN and ORDERLY the shop looked? Was it bright and surfaces were clear and disinfected? If yes, then this is the shop for you!

Customer Service Goes a Long Way

Tattoos are a personal and private service that is offered to those who like them. Tattoos are something that people DESIRE but do not NEED.  Therefore, the BEST Tattoo Shops have trained their staff to appreciate that their clients chose them. Gone are the days that tattoos are only meant for the rough and tough biker who prefers you “draw and don’t ask questions”.

As with any reputable company, customer service is essential in order to be successful. An unfriendly or pushy tattoo artist is a fast track to shop failure. Think about it, you are about to endure something that brings pain for some and discomfort for others. You are going to want a tattoo artist who is nice and kind and even feels BAD about the pain they are about to put you through.

Selecting a shop whose artists possess a wealth of knowledge they are willing to share, in an informative way, is the way to go. If a tattoo artist feels there could be some concerns regarding the type of tattoo you have selected, he/she will take the time to politely inform you of the concerns they may have. For example, the size of the tattoo in relation to where you want the tattoo placed on your body may conflict.  A good tattoo artist will make recommendations and even make suggestions that will enhance the look/design of your tattoo.

Choose Wisely

You should research what is available in your area and then check out three shops you want to consider. Ask friends and relatives that have gotten tattoos themselves. Go online and google “tattoo shops, your city”. Visit their website, give them a call, and be sure to step across their threshold BEFORE deciding if that tattoo shop is right for you. When you visit a shop as part of your search, inquire with others who have just received a tattoo there.

As a rule of thumb, it is usually a safe bet to start your search with the OLDEST and most respected tattoo shop around. For the record, the more experienced shops tend to demand more from their employees, not just creatively, but in their customer service and knowledge of sterilization protocols.  (FYI – Jims Tattoo has been open since 1977). There is typically a reason that a tattoo shop has been around for a long time. Stop in and discover why that might be for yourself.

SEE YOU SOON!

11 comments on “Choosing the BEST Tattoo Shop

1. Alise Harper says:

I am wanting to get a tattoo but am having a hard time knowing where to go and get it done. I really liked all this information on choosing the best tattoo shop. I especially liked how you pointed out to make sure the shop is not only clean and continually being disinfected between clients but they have their tattoo artist license visible. I think this is important because knowing that the tattoo won’t get infected and the artist is qualified will be comforting during a nerve-racking experience. Thanks for all the advice to know what I need to look for in a tattoo parlor!

1. TattooAdmin says:

Glad we could be of assistance.

2. Maggie says:

Thanks for sharing all of this advice on choosing the best tattoo! My husband and I have always wanted to get matching tattoos, but neither of us have ever gotten one before. When we start looking around, we will definitely be sure to keep an eye out for how clean the place is and whether it is licensed. It might also be a good idea to make sure that the artist’s licenses are up-to-date and valid.

3. Jen Pack says:

I have decided that I want to get another tattoo, and I am looking for the best place to get it since I moved. I like the idea you give of looking for a company that not only has skilled artists, but also people that offer great customer service. I imagine that it is also a good idea to look for someone who has good reviews from former clients.

4. Marcus Coons says:

I loved how you talked about the importance of choosing a tattoo shop where the staff is friendly and willing to share their knowledge with you. It makes sense that looking for a shop like this would help you feel comfortable and willing to return again. I have been wanting to get a tattoo for the longest time but have noI loved how you talked about the importance of choosing a tattoo shop where the staff is friendly and willing to share their knowledge with you. It makes sense that looking for a shop like this would help you feel comfortable and willing to return again. I have been wanting to get a tattoo for the longest time but have not found the right drawing until now, so all I have left is top find an artist.t found the right drawing until now, so all I have left is top find an artist.

5. Thank you for helping me know how to choose a good tattoo company! I especially appreciate your comments on being picky about the personality of the tattoo artist. I do want someone both experienced as well as personable when I have a tattoo done.

6. My cousin wants to get a tattoo and find a quality tattoo shop so he knows it will be done right. Knowing that cleanliness is key is crucial to look for the right place to get this art done. He will keep this in mind as he looks.

7. You made a good point in seeking for the tattoo artist’s licenses to make sure that he is certified and allowed to tattoo clients. In that way, you will be assured that he is a professional in the field with the likely good outcome of the tattoo after it’s done. I’m planning to get a tattoo in my left belly to cover my birthmark and I’ll definitely follow your advice on seeking his credentials before saying a yes to the service.

8. “CHOOSING THE BEST TATTOO SHOP IS AS IMPORTANT AS THE TATTOO.” Definitely, we must observe and choose wisely for our safety purposes also.

9. My best friend passed away a few years ago and I want to get a tattoo to remember her by, so I need to find a quality tattoo shop. You make a great point that you should visit different shops and see if they are clean and safe. Also, when visiting potential shops I will make sure to talk to the tattoo artist and see if they are friendly and will be easy to work with because this is very important to me. I have never gotten a tattoo before so I want to make sure that the staff will be accommodating and easy to work with.

10. Katie Wilson says:

I agree that you want to find out how clean a tattoo parlor is. It would make sense to find someone who is clean and has good sanitation practices. My sister wants to get a tattoo of her favorite quote from a book, so she’ll have to find someone that has a clean parlor to help her with this.